This is my number one favorite chocolate cake recipe! I just made it for myself for my birthday yesterday. I would seriously cry if I ever lost this recipe, but now that I’ve posted it on here, I never have to worry about that. It’s really easy, super moist and very chocolatey, with a chocolate ganache icing.
Sorry about the bad pictures of this, it really is a pretty cake, but I didn’t take pictures until we had already eaten half of it and used a plastic knife to cut it.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, then just add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for a few mins before adding it to the mix.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2½ cups of flour (cake flour preferred)
- 1 cup dutch cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate pudding (small box)
- 2¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 9 oz semi sweet chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees convection or 325 regular. Grease and flour bundt or tube pan.
- Mix sugar, butter and vanilla together, then add in eggs. Mix in flour, cocoa, soda, salt, pudding and buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk, add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar to regular milk and use that instead. Once mixed well, add chocolate chips and stir.
- Pour into greased and floured pan. Bake for 55-65 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, put chocolate chips in medium size bowl, put cream in small sauce pan,
- heat cream over medium heat, just until it starts to boil. Pour cream over chocolate chips
- stir until it turns dark and creamy. Drizzle over cake.
Kelly @ Kelly Lynn's Sweets and Treats says
Oooooooh sooooo much chocolate!! I’m drooling! Pinned! Xoxo
[email protected] says
My mouth is watering Katie. Lovely sharing! Advance wishes for you… Happy New Year. :)
Thanks, you too!!
Debbie Barber says
Just made this cake, It did use white chocolate glaze. This cake is the most delicious chocolate cake I ever had, very moist. I love all your recipes.
Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it. It’s my favorite!
Diana Steinmetz says
I have a question about the pudding! Is this pudding mixed up or do I use it dry? Silly question I know just don’t want to mess it up!!
Hi Diana, Just the dry mix. Enjoy!
can I make this in two cake pans instead of a bundt pan?
Yes, but it will cook quicker.
Patty B says
Made this cake for a neighborhood Memorial Day cookout and what a hit!! Moist, dense, super chocolaty, and soo good. I used a large bundt pan and kept 1 cup of batter back so pan wouldn’t overflow. Worked beautifully…everyone Raved about it. Only crumbs left about 30 minutes after it got put on the dessert table. Will deginitely make it again.
Hi Patty, So glad you liked the recipe. Have a Happy Memorial Day! Thanks for taking the time to comment, we appreciate it!