Cinnamon & Sugar Baked Donuts
I love, love, love baked donuts especially the kind just covered in tons of cinnamon & sugar! These are my 2nd all time favorite kind of donut to make, my 1st being vanilla cake donuts with vanilla frosting & sprinkles.
I love that I can make homemade donuts at home baked in the oven, no messy oil frying involved. The recipe is quite simple you just need a donut pan. I have 3 Wilton Donut Pans, they are non-stick and work great for making all kinds of baked donuts.
I like to use a small spoon to scoop the batter into the donut pan but you can also use a piping bag or make your own using a ziploc bag & cutting a bottom corner to pour the batter into the pan.
The tops will be a very pale golden brown when they are done and they will be springy to the touch. If you have trouble removing them from the pan try using a rubber spatula. The bottom side of the donuts will be a nice dark golden brown color (as shown above).
This recipe makes anywhere from 6-9 donuts depending on how high you fill the donut pan. I’ve made it a few times filling all 6 donut cavities to the top & it makes 6 big donuts but the hole in the middle kind of closes up so now I usually make 7-8 smaller donuts. If you don’t own a donut pan you can make your own using a muffin pan instead if you roll up aluminum foil into balls and place them in the middle of each muffin hole. To create the hole just pour the batter around the aluminum foil balls.
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used soybean oil)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter (for brushing)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease donut pan with oil or cooking spray.
- Whisk together the sour cream, egg, vanilla, oil, butter & sugar in a bowl.
- Add flour, soda, salt, & nutmeg (optional) & stir together until well combined.
- Fill donut pan with batter & bake for 12-16 minutes or until the top is springy to the touch & the sides are turning golden brown. Remove from oven & let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack. Once they have cooled enough make the cinnamon & sugar topping.
- For the cinnamon & sugar coating: Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter either in microwave or in a sauce pan over stove. Mix cinnamon & sugar together in a bowl. Brush the donuts top & bottom with butter, dip both sides in cinnamon & sugar mix.
This post contains an Amazon affiliate link.