Coffee Cake Baked Donuts
For this recipe I took my favorite recipe for streusel coffee cake, made a few changes to it & turned it into baked donuts for breakfast. I don’t know about you but I love streusel topping. It is basically made up of butter, sugar, cinnamon, & flour. These coffee cake baked donuts taste just like your eating a piece of coffee cake only in cute donut form instead!
Coffee cake in donut form!
This recipe makes anywhere from 6-9 donuts depending on how high you fill the donut pan. I’ve made it a few times filling all 6 donut cavities to the top & it makes 6 big donuts but the hole in the middle kind of closes up so now I usually make 9 smaller donuts. If you don’t own a donut pan you can make your own using a muffin pan instead if you roll up aluminum foil into balls and place them in the middle of each muffin hole. To create the hole just pour the batter around the aluminum foil balls, it doesn’t work perfectly but some people have had good luck doing that.
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2½ tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2½ tablespoons butter, melted (I used salted)
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened (I used salted)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Make the topping first. In a small mixing bowl mix flour, sugar, brown sugar, & cinnamon together. Add melted butter & mix until dry crumb mixture forms. If it's not very crumbly add in a little extra flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 1-2 donut pans.
- Make the cake batter: In a mixing bowl stir butter & sugar together. Add in egg. Mix sour cream & vanilla in. In another bowl sift flour, baking powder, & baking soda together.
- Add flour mixture to the sour cream/liquid mixture & mix until smooth.
- Spoon into prepared donut pans, about 2 tablespoons per donut. Take the crumb topping and crumble between your fingers onto the top of each donut.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until tops are starting to turn a slight golden brown and donut is springy to the touch.
This post contains amazon affiliate links.