Fluffy Garlic Knot Rolls.
I was inspired to try making homemade garlic knots after finding they made them at a little local Italian restaurant near me. I made them dairy free with olive oil but you can swap out the olive oil for butter if you want to, butter always has a good flavor too! I love butter but I had to make them dairy free so everyone could eat them.
Shaping the knots…
I rolled out the dough into a 6″x8″ rectangle approximately. I used a pizza cutter to slice them into 1″ strips about 4″ long. Then you want to flour them on top a little so they don’t stick when you tie them into knots. You take each piece, tie it into a knot, tuck the ends under, & place on a greased cookie sheet to rise before baking.
I normally add fresh parsley to the topping but my parsley plant isn’t doing so good right now, you can also use dried parsley flakes if you want.
I used a bread machine to knead the dough like I almost always do but you can use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook or knead by hand.
PS. These are really good left over, I think they have a stronger garlic flavor the next day after sitting.
- ½ cup of warm water
- 1¼ teaspoons quick rise yeast
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (may use butter or vegetable oil also)
- ½ Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- parsley fresh or dried flakes (optional)
- Add warm water & yeast to bread machine or mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients starting with the flour.
- Set your bread machine to dough cycle if your using a bread machine. Or use a stand mixer with dough hook to knead the bread or mix the dough by hand for about 15 minutes until dough becomes a soft elastic like ball. Add more flour or water if needed to get the right consistency.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Roll out on floured surface to a 6x8 inches rectangle (I use a rolling pin).
- Cut 1 inch thick strips, so each stick should be about 1x4 inches. Flour lightly & tie each strip into a knot, tucking ends under (I use a pizza cutter to cut the strips).
- Place onto greased cookie sheet
- Let rise for 30-40 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees
- Mix olive oil, fresh minced garlic, garlic powder, & parsley (optional) together in small bowl.
- Brush knots with oil mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Brush with remaining olive oil/garlic mix.
post contains amazon affiliate link