Well I was trying to make breadsticks like Pizza Hut but these are softer then the ones you get at Pizza Hut. I think if you bake them at 475 degrees F. instead of 400 degrees F. like I did they might turn out more crisp and chewy like Pizza Hut but I kind of like them soft better. They are topped with garlic powder and some Italian herbs like oregano, you could also add parmesan cheese.
I used a bread machine to knead the dough like I almost always do but you can use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook or knead by hand.
Recipe makes about 8 breadsticks.
- ½ cup of warm water
- 1¼ teaspoons quick rise yeast
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (may use butter or vegetable oil also)
- ½ Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Add warm water & yeast to bread machine or mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients starting with the flour.
- Set your bread machine to dough cycle if your using a bread machine. Or use a stand mixer with dough hook to knead the bread or mix the dough by hand for about 15 minutes until dough becomes a soft elastic like ball. Add more flour or water if needed to get the right consistency.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Roll out on floured surface to a 8x11" rectangle (I use a rolling pin).
- Place onto greased cookie sheet or in a greased 8x11" pan.
- Let rise for 30-40 minutes
- Use a pizza cutter to pre-slice the dough into 1" strips width wise.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. degrees
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- In a small bowl mix topping ingredients together. Brush mixture on top of warm breadsticks.
post contains amazon affiliate link