Healthier Baked Chicken Nuggets.
Chicken Nuggets used to be one of my favorites. I remember I used to dip Chicken Nuggets in ketchup or honey mustard, I know some people prefer BBQ or ranch sauce. Up until I started making my own Baked Chicken Nuggets it had been years since I ate them. I try to bake anything I can and I was so happy to find out that Baked Chicken Nuggets really do turn out very good & tender. I also started making my own homemade baked tater tots but I will share that recipe with you another time.
I like my chicken to turn out as tender as possible and I learned a few years ago that it helps to make a quick brine for the chicken and let it soak for 2 hours prior to baking. It is not necessary and I don’t always do it but if I find that I have time to plan ahead I brine my chicken before baking. To brine the chicken breasts I just dissolve 1 tablespoon kosher salt and about 2 tablespoon brown sugar in a bowl of water then add chicken and place in frig for 2 hours before baking.
I used 2 chicken breasts to make this recipe which is about 1 lb of chicken. I cut them into pieces about 1-1.5″, you could also cut them into strips. I used homemade bread crumbs that I browned in the oven then ground up in my food processor, store bought bread crumbs work great too. Adding the paprika, pepper, & salt is option for flavor.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast (about 2 breasts)
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoons ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Pat your chicken dry with paper towels and cut into chunks or strips.
- Prepare three shallow dishes such as small bowls. Add flour, paprika, salt and pepper to the first dish and mix until combined. To the second dish add the eggs and beat well. To the third dish add breadcrumbs.
- Coat your chicken pieces first with flour (I usually do 1-2 pieces at a time). Then dip the chicken into the egg, then coat with breadcrumbs. (Discard leftover breadcrumbs and flour).
- Place the coated chicken pieces evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning the chicken nuggets once halfway through.