Greek Butter Cookies.
I love butter cookies. A butter cookie to me is basically a sugar cookie. The Greek Butter Cookie recipe below is a popular recipe to make at Christmas time. You can dust the top with powdered sugar or colored sprinkles. You can also shape these any way you want, some people make a crescent moon shape or an S shape. I kept it simple and made them into balls using a small cookie scoop.
The cookies turn out soft in the middle & the powdered sugar on top helps to add some extra sweetness to them. The recipe below calls for adding vanilla but you could also add almond extract or a little of both. Vanilla extract is my favorite!
Recipe makes about 36 cookies.
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 F. degrees.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter, sugar and egg together until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Mix in flour until dough forms.
- Roll dough into 1" balls balls, logs or 'S' shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheet 2" apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned and firm.
- Allow cookies to cool then dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes. Post contains amazon affiliate link.