Valentine’s Day Chocolate Chip Heart Shaped Cookies made in a jelly roll pan then cut out into heart shapes!
My first Valentine’s Day recipe post for 2020! I used my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe to covert these into cookies you can cut out into heart shapes after they are baked in a jelly roll pan. I used a 13″x18″ jelly roll half sheet baking pan(amazon affiliate link), it is my favorite cookie sheet and it is from Sam’s Club. I have had it for a very long time.
As you spread out the cookie dough into the jelly roll pan(amazon affiliate link) you really have to work to make it stretch out, leave a 1″ gap around the trim of the pan because the dough will grow out to the edge. You can cut the recipe in half and bake in a 9×13″ pan if you don’t have a large 13×18″ jelly roll pan.
I recommend starting to cut out the shapes while the cookies are still warm, they will be easier to press into the cookies.
This recipe made about 13-14 cookies for me using a large crinkle heart cookie cutter but the number of cookies will depend on the size of your cookie cutter. You will have extra pieces of cookie dough leftover after cutting the cookies out but my family enjoyed eating the trim pieces, they did not go to waste!
- 2¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter (2 stick) semi cold*
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- + ¼ cup chocolate chips reserved for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees. Grease 13"x18" jelly roll pan or line with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Use an electric mixer to cream brown sugar, sugar, & semi cold butter*(you want the butter to be a little cold, I took mine from the frig, microwaved it for 20 seconds, cut it into pieces then added it to the bowl).
- Add eggs & vanilla, mix.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt together. Add to the creamed butter/sugar. Beat with mixer until everything is mixed in.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place cookie dough onto prepared jelly roll pan, use your hands to spread the dough evenly out and flatten it down, LEAVE a 1" space around the edge of the entire pan though, it will spread out.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake 13-16 minutes or until the edges are just starting to brown.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes then when it has cooled to a warm temperature you can start cutting out cookies using a heart shaped cookie cutter.
These are wonderful. Cookie is delicious abs they were very easy to cut out once cookie dough baked in the pan.
So glad you liked the cookie recipe. Thanks for taking the time to comment, we appreciate it!