Heart Shaped Slice & Bake Sugar Cookies (Valentine’s Day).
I took my favorite recipe for slice and bake sugar cookies and decided to make them heart shaped for Valentine’s Day which is right around the corner. I love this slice and bake sugar cookie recipe because it is really easy to make and the cookies hold their shape great.
To make the heart shaped log you want to place part of the cookie dough onto waxed paper, plastic wrap, or parchment paper. Roll into a 3 sided log about 3″ high (triangle shape). Then take a wooden skewer, ruler, or something similar to run across one side to make the heart indentation. You may have to work with the dough a little to round the top part and separate it by using the side of your hand.
So these take a tiny bit more effort to make heart shaped vs. just making them round but I think they turned out with a decent heart shape. The trick is to not let them sit in the frig too long after shaping them. I made several logs and the ones that did the best were the ones I did not refrigerate over night. They tend to get too flat on one side if you leave them overnight and the dough gets too dry. You can sprinkle with sugar, sprinkles, or frost them. They were much easier to make then cut out sugar cookies and you still end up with the heart shape.
When slicing the cookies you want to make them fairly thick because they won’t rise much in the oven. I probably sliced mine just over 1/4″ thick.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- *Plus sprinkles or sugar for topping*
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg. Add vanilla and milk.
- Mix in flour & baking powder (also add ¼ teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter).
- Lay 2 pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper on the counter.
- Split dough in half. Drop half of the dough on one piece of plastic wrap & the second on the other. Shape/Roll each into a log about 3" in diameter. Then shape into a 3 sided triangle. Use a wooden skewer, ruler, or something similar to run across the middle of one side to create the heart indentation. Use the side of your hand to widen the indentation and round the top of the heart by hand. Wrap up & close off ends of plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees.
- Take out one log & slice into ¼" slices and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat when ready to bake second log.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are just slightly turning golden.
Leave a Comment