Cinnamon Roll Twist Knots Dairy Free Recipe.
I love cinnamon rolls, cinnamon buns, cinnamon knots. These are basically just a fancier version of a cinnamon roll. I make them dairy free and nobody even knows. This recipe is made without milk, I use water instead. I also use vegetable oil instead of butter. If you don’t want to make them into twisted knots you can just roll them in a log, slice them, and bake them like typical cinnamon rolls in an 8×8″ baking dish.
This recipe made 9 Cinnamon Twist Knots.
I tried to take several pictures of the process so you could tell how I made the knot shape.
You roll out the dough into a rectangle about 11″ x 17″ & spread the cinnamon & sugar mix over it. (I used a rolling pin to roll out dough).
Then you fold the dough over in half, width wise. Along the folded seam you cut the dough into 1-1.5″ strips (I used a pizza cutter to cut the strips). Then you twist the dough a few times.
Take the twisted strip of dough & a make a tight circle with it, take the end of it & tuck it into the center of the circle.
They freeze well if you have leftovers.
- ½ cup warm water
- 1⅛ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- -ICING (optional)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon water
- Use your preferred dough kneading method (bread machine, stand mixer, or by hand). I use a bread machine to knead the dough.
- First add warm water & yeast, then add in the rest of the ingredients. Start dough kneading. If the mixture is too dry add in a little extra water. If the dough is too wet add in more flour until a slightly sticky dough ball forms. Kneading about 7-10 min.
- Cover & let dough rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
- Punch dough down. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. (I use a rolling pin). Roll to form a 11"x17" rectangle.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar filling over the top of dough.
- Fold the dough in half width wise, then press down gently. Cut into 1-1½" strips width wise so you start cutting at the seam where the dough is folded (I used a pizza cutter).
- Take the strips of dough one at a time, holding both ends twist it several times. Take the twisted strip of dough & a make a tight circle with it, take the end of it & tuck it into the center of the circle. (See photos above).
- Place on a greased cookie sheet. Space them out about 2 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 15-17 min. or until the edges are turning golden brown & the bottoms.
- Mix up the icing, adding more powdered sugar or water if needed to get a thin enough consistency to pour onto top of cinnamon rolls. Spoon the icing over cinnamon rolls & serve warm.