Hobo Beef Meatballs, Carrots, Potato Packets with a honey mustard sauce.
Honey Mustard Sauce is optional to add after it is cooked but I love the flavor it adds. You could also add ranch dressing on top instead for flavor.
These meatball, potato, carrot foil packets are a quick and easy dinner I like to make and they also freeze well! I had half a pound of ground round beef left that I needed to use up before it went bad and this recipe always comes in handy as a quick way to use it up. Sometimes I make the 4 packets and freeze all of them to use later on.
Recipe makes 4 packets. I add about 4 meatballs to each packet. I only used a 1/2 pound of ground beef. If you want to make a bigger batch just double the recipe. I recommend slicing the potatoes thin so they cook faster.
- ½ pound of ground beef
- ¼ cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 3-4 russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- half a small sized yellow onion, sliced
- pepper and salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
- Honey Mustard Sauce for serving (optional):
- ½ cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- ½ Tablespoon regular yellow mustard
- ½ Tablespoon raw honey
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Tear 4 piece of aluminum foil into approx. 12x18" in size. Set on cookie sheet.
- Grease foil with oil or butter to prevent sticking.
- Place ¼ of the sliced potatoes, onion, and carrots on each piece of foil.
- Make the meatballs by adding ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, ketchup, and mustard to a mixing bowl. Either by hand or with an electric mixer combine ingredients. Roll into 1" meatballs. Place ¼ of the meatballs on each piece of foil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on top of each, or add a ½ Tablespoon slice of butter.
- Fold each packet up tightly. Place beef side up.
- Place cookie sheet in oven and cook for 35-45 minutes or until potatoes are cooked and meat has reached 160 F.
- Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before opening.
- Mix honey mustard sauce up if desired to top and serve with the packets.