Challah Dinner Rolls. Our best yeast dinner rolls.
We took our Famous Challah Braided Bread recipe and made it into dinner rolls. They turned out amazing for Thanksgiving dinner this year. We just love this bread recipe.
Recipe makes a 13×18″ baking sheet full of dinner rolls. Recipe makes a lot! Good for large gatherings and dinners. If you don’t need a bunch you can cut the recipe in half and make half of a batch of dinner rolls. Our recipe makes 20-24 dinner rolls.
- 1¼ cup of warm milk (microwave the milk for 1 min.)
- ¼ cup soft butter, not melted
- 3 eggs (at room temperature is best)
- 5½ cups of all purpose flour or bread flour if you have it
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet of rapid rise yeast (2¼ teaspoon)
- Add ingredients to bread machine in the order above. (You can also knead by hand or using a mixer).
- Add warm milk, butter, eggs, flour, sugar, salt, and then yeast.
- Set machine for dough cycle, this takes about 1½ hours. (Or knead by hand or with a mixer for about 15 minutes then cover loosely and let rise for 1 hour).
- Check dough when you first start kneading, if it is too dry and not forming into a ball add a little water, if it is too sticky and not forming a ball add extra flour.
- Once it is finished put the dough on a floured surface. Break dough into 20-24 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and place on a greased 13x18" baking sheet.
- Let rise in a warm, not hot place for 30-45 min.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- After risen, if you like the shiny look you can brush with an egg wash. (wisk one egg and 1 T. water) then brush on top of dough.
- Bake at 375 F. for 20-25 minutes, rolls should be golden brown.
- I usually take a cold stick of butter and rub it across the top of the rolls when it comes out of the oven, just a little gives the crust a nice buttery flavor.