Classic Apple Pie Dairy Free with Oil Pastry Pie Crust.
I made an 8″ Apple Pie with this recipe. If using a 9″ pie pan then you can increase the amount of apples by 1 cup. This was my first attempt at doing the lattice top. I normally only do the regular flat top that you cut some slits in but I think this looks prettier. My mom always tells me that my grandma used to make the lattice top pies so I wanted to give it a try. It was actually much easier then I thought it would be but I did watch a youtube video on how to do it before I started, lol.
My mom and grandma both had that big red Betty Crocker Cookbook that they used to make pies. My mom has hand written in pencil next to the recipe her customized version. The book has changed a little depending on what issue you have. She always uses milk for the crust instead of water but I’m keeping it dairy free.
- -Pie Crust (8-9")-
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 4-6 Tablespoons cold water
- -Apple Pie Filling-
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 5 cups of sliced/diced apples, peeled.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Make pie crust: In a mixing bowl mix flour and salt together. Add vegetable oil and 4 Tablespoons of water. Mix. If dry add another Tablespoon of water until ball of dough forms.
- Divide dough into 2 ball. Roll one ball out in between 2 pieces wax paper lightly floured using a rolling pin. Roll to the size that will fit your pie pan. Take the second ball and roll out again to about the same size, cut into 10-14 strips for the lattice style top.
- Make pie filling: In a mixing bowl mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and apples together.
- Grease pie pan.
- Add bottom pie crust to pan. Pour in apple mixture. Cover pie with top piece of pie crust by weaving the lattice top together.
- To make lattice you place 5-7 strips of crust going one way then weave the rest of the strips in between. Press edges down firmly when done.
- Cover edges with 2-3 strips of aluminum foil to keep the edges from browning, removing the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden. Let cool before serving.