Quick No Chill Cut Out Sugar Cookies.
I don’t like recipes that require chilling the dough. I really try to avoid them. Sometimes I make an exception when it is a must but with cut out sugar cookies it is not. You can still make really good cut out sugar cookies without chilling the dough. Actually I think they turn out better then the chilled recipes if I’m being honest. Holidays like Christmas always seem to be such a busy time so this recipe comes in handy when you want to make cookies with the kids.
The dough may seem a little dry but this is where an electric mixer comes in handy, if you keep mixing it will form a dough ball that is soft. With the butter I take it out of the fridge and microwave it in a bowl for about 30 seconds to soften it. To prevent sticking when rolling out sugar cookie dough I like to roll the dough between 2 floured pieces of waxed paper (shown in photo above).
Recipe makes several sheets of cookies, amount depends on what size cookie cutters you use and how thick you roll it out. You can cut the recipe in half if you want a small batch of cut out cookies. A full batch made 2-3 cookie sheets of cookies.
The cookies hold shapes well. I prefer thicker cookies because they end up softer but if you like them crispy you can make them thinner. I tried to leave mine close to 1/4″ thick. Frost or decorate as desired.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or grease them.
- Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar together. (I mixed for 2 minutes).
- Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Take ⅓rd of the dough and roll out on a well flour surface using a rolling pin. (I like to put dough between 2 pieces of floured waxed paper, helps prevent sticking).
- Roll to about ¼" thick. (I prefer it thicker so the cookies stay softer).
- Use cookie cutters to make shaped cookies. Place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until they look set.