Graham Cracker Brown Sugar Cookies.
Graham Cracker Brown Sugar Cookies. This recipe makes soft thin brown sugar cookies and calls for graham cracker crumbs. I was looking for something new to try. I was getting tired of regular old sugar cookies. Adding graham crackers crumbs to cookies sounded like a good idea. The graham cracker crumbs add a unique texture (slightly grainy) and flavor. They are soft and easily break apart after baked.
As you can see from the pictures I made a baking mistake and put the cookies too close together on the cookie sheet. These cookies end up pretty flat and spread out a lot so give the cookies some space, place about 3″ apart on the cookie sheet.
You can either buy already ground up graham cracker crumbs (like you use for making pie crusts and other desserts) or you can make your own. I usually make my own because it is cheaper to just buy a box of honey graham crackers. To grind them up you can put them in a blender, a food processor or a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush them down into crumbs. Recipe makes about 26 cookies.
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- In a mixing bowl mix butter and brown sugar together. Mix in vanilla and egg.
- Mix in graham cracker crumbs, flour, and baking soda, stirring well.
- Scoop into 1.5" balls, drop on cookie sheet, placing 3" apart.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges are just starting to turn golden brown.