Classic One Bowl Vanilla Yellow Cake.
I love this basic yellow cake recipe. One bowl. Simple. Easy. Quick.
The recipe below is cut in half and only makes 1 layer of cake if using a 8″ or 9″ round cake pan or baking in a 8×8″ baking dish. If you want a 9×13″ size or 2 round layers of cake then please double the recipe. I like to make this small batch for small gatherings or a quick snacking cake.
Recipe is adapted from a vintage Betty Crocker Cookbook my mom has had since shortly after getting married.
*Tip: To softened the butter quickly I usually microwave it for 25-30 seconds.
Cool cake completely then dust with powdered sugar or frost as desired. Baked in a 8×8″ Pyrex baking pan.
- 1⅛ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup (4 Tablespoons) salted butter, softened
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees. Grease an 8x8" baking pan or a 8 or 9" round cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into greased baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar or frost as desired.