Monkey Bread From Scratch Dairy Free made in a loaf pan.
Monkey Bread, what is it? It is basically pull apart cinnamon rolls or cinnamon bread. I made this dairy free version which uses water and oil and no weird alternatives that I see in most dairy free recipes posted. It is simple to make and I found it much easier to bake in a loaf pan then trying to make it in a bundt pan. If you do want to make it in a bundt pan then you would need to double the recipe below.
I ALWAYS bake my bread in the oven because I don’t like the way the bread bakes in a bread machine (affiliate link) but the bread machine works amazing for kneading dough. I use Pyrex 1.5-quart clear glass pans (affiliate link) to make my bread, I think glass bakes bread well and I like that I can check the bottoms to see if the bread is browning.
To make the bread you divided it into about 20 small pieces. then you roll them into balls and coat them with cinnamon and sugar before putting them in a loaf pan to bake.
- 1⅛ teaspoons yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2½ Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- -For the Coating-
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- olive oil for brushing
- Grease 1 bread loaf pan and set aside.
- Add ingredients to mixing bowl or bread machine in order above.
- Mix/knead dough using your favorite method (by hand, using a stand mixer with dough hook, or a bread machine). Knead dough for 8-10 min. or until it feels smooth & elastic but still a little tacky. You may need to add a little extra flour or water to get the right consistency.
- Let dough rise for 1 hour covered or until doubled in size.
- Place on a floured surface. Divide dough into about 20 pieces.
- Roll in balls. Brush with olive oil. Dip in a bowl of brown sugar and cinnamon to coat. Place in loaf pan. Pour any remaining brown sugar/cinnamon over the top.
- Let rise for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown.
Leave a Comment