How To Cook Spaghetti Squash in the oven.
I love all the different kinds of squash out there and they are super healthy for you too. I usually steam acorn and butternut squash when I make it but spaghetti squash I always bake it in the oven. It is super easy to make spaghetti squash in the oven.
The hardest part about making it is cutting it in half. I have tried all different types of knives and the skin is just so hard to cut but I do have a trick I use that has helped greatly. You can skip it if you don’t have any trouble cutting it in half. I actually pierce a few holes in it then microwave it for a couple minutes and this helps to precook it and softens the skin to a degree that I can cut it much easier. The stem is kind of awkward to cut around so I usually cut everything but that area then when I go to pry it in half the stem part usually just breaks open easily.
I probably overcooked this squash a bit (the edges browned) when I made it because I kept it in at least 50 minutes but I like mine to be really soft. The cooking times vary depending on how soft you want it and the size you are cooking. Don’t forget to scrape out the acorn seeds before you put it in the oven. You cook it cut side down on a cookie sheet then when it is done you flip it over and can scrape up all the strands of squash so it looks like spaghetti noodles almost.
I usually make this as a side dish for dinner and only eat one half, the other cooked half I place in the frig and then reheat the next night. It reheats in the microwave really well.
- one large or small spaghetti squash
- cooking spray or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. degrees.
- Prick a few holes in the squash with a knife or fork.
- Microwave squash for 1½ mins, flip it over and microwave another 1½ mins (this makes it easier. to cut open).
- Then cut squash in half length wise, scoop out the seeds.
- Spray squash with cooking spray or brush with olive oil.
- Place open side face down (skin up) on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Bake small squash for 30-40 mins and large ones 45-55 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Use a fork to scrape out the strands of squash.