Sugar Cookies with Icing.
The icing doesn’t harden well enough to stack well. I think adding corn syrup helps the icing to really harden. I did not have any so if your looking for a hard icing then adding a little of that could help.
Simple sugar cookies with icing. A hint of cinnamon in the dough for extra flavor and because I love cinnamon. You could add some cinnamon to the icing, I thought about it but did not.
Recipe makes about 30 small cookies.
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) salted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- (1/4 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼-1/2 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar together. Addegg and vanilla and mix in.
- Mix in flour, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Scoop by the spoon full and roll into 1" balls, flatten to about a ¼-inch thickness using the bottom of a sugar dipped glass or the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze: Mix together powdered sugar, ¼ cup cream, and the vanilla. Mix in the remaining cream 1 tablespoon at a time, until the glaze is thickened.
- Taking spoon fulls of glaze, pour onto tops of cookies, use the back of the spoon to spread it around. Let is sit to harden.